internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Terminal, a true story!!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Marcia <msmartin AT ccbeunet.br>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Terminal, a true story!!!
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:16:45 -0300

I've heard, and known people that didn't believe in the "you need a visa to
go
there" story, and got stuck at the destination's airport for a few hours, or
days, waiting for the first flight back home. But weeks, years and decades!
That's a new concept to me. I had never heard of anything like that! How can
the people responsible for the paperwork and bureaucracy, be so heartless?

Quoting Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>:

> Marcia said the following on 6/28/04 10:57 AM:
>
> > And I thought the INS was bad!
>
> When I went to school in Spain 14 years ago, the assistant
> choir conductor was an exchange student from Uraguay.
> When she came to Spain from her home, the cheapest flight
> was through a tour of Moscow on Aeroflot. So, she flew
> from Uraguay to Moscow, toured around for a few days,
> then flew on to Madrid. Unfortunately, there was something
> wrong with her papers and they wouldn't let her into the
> country. Instead, they deported her back to the country
> she came from ... the Soviet Union! This time, however,
> she didn't have a visa to get into the country and
> got stuck in the airport! Luckily for her, she had some
> contacts within the country and was only in the airport
> for about a week, and in the country for less than two
> before getting the correct papers together and making it
> finally to Spain. But, it makes me wonder how often things
> like this happen. The guy in Paris seems to be an extreme
> case, but what about the other "minor" cases?
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

WebMail Litoral Internet
www.litoral.com.br