internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wired: outsourcing is good

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wired: outsourcing is good
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:57:56 -0400 (EDT)

In reference to Ian Meyer's message:
> for a look at the other face of outsourcing, check out this Wired
> Magazine cover article from a few months ago:
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.02/india.html
>
> ~ian

Only halfway through the 8-page article, but I have to get back to work.
Here are my initial thoughts:

Outsourcing is cheating, in my opinion. The savings these companies
acquire through outsourcing are *not* intended to lower costs for
consumers, rather increase profits for the higher-ups. Cheaper
programmers != cheaper programs.

Outsourcing isn't doing India any real good. Yes, perhaps the middle
class is expanding, but to whose benefit? At what cost? The projects
these Indian programmers design are not intended for sale in India. In a
sense, India is being robbed of it's talent. The intelligencia of India
needs to focus on India, not find American jobs to support American
lifestyles.

And, again, where does it end? When enough job markets have been
transferred overseas, what are we supposed to do over here? It's not a
crisis now, I don't believe, but what about 10 years from now? The only
jobs that will be left will be those that require a person physically
present in the US; everything else telecommutes from Mumbai...

-Alan