internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Genetically modified foods - (was fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael <michael AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Genetically modified foods - (was fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:23:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> promblem. My original post was really trying to understand why people
> have such a negative gut reaction, rather than just considering the
> benefits and drawbacks and arguing it sensibly.

I agree that there are definite advantages to RR crops - obvious
advantages right there in the name. I think the gut reactions are either
from (a) folks with agricultural experience/background who immediately
clench over the thought of fiddling overmuch with traditional crops (for a
variety of reasons, political, personal and otherwise) and/or (b) folks
who flinch at the thought of ingesting food that's been fiddled with.
Given the growth of the organic market, I don't think it's at all silly,
surprising or even necessarily "leftist" to have that gut reaction.
Rather, it's another expression of the right of the individual to live
their life how they want - including knowing the back-story on what they
choose to eat.

--
Robust McManlyPants, AKA "Get off my desk
Michael Williams before you get them