internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Genetically modified foods - (was fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Genetically modified foods - (was fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:39:41 -0400

On Jun 22, 2004, at 5:23 PM, quack AT ibiblio.org wrote:
Part of the problem is that the scientific method is spottily (I'd argue
shoddily, but we won't go there now) applied. Especially when such
bio-engineered products are treated as closed-source, and the techniques
to produce and results of testing are not open for public review. Like
most industries, the focus is getting the product out the door and making
money.

Its the same way in the pharmaceutical industry, where drug manufacturers don't have to make public studies that show a drug is ineffective or even dangerous, as was the case with the recent controversy over Paxil use by children.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC