internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Welcome to ... Amerika

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Welcome to ... Amerika
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:15:16 -0400

Simon Spero wrote:

Berkemer v. McCarty, Supreme Court of the United States, 1984
468 U.S. 420, 104 S. Ct 3138, 82 L. Ed 2d 317

Following up my own post - I finally had a chance to look at the opinion. Breyer's opinion is spot on:

*** This lengthy history—of concurring opinions, of refer-ences, and of clear explicit statements—means that the Court’s statement in Berkemer, while technically dicta, is the kind of strong dicta that the legal community typically takes as a statement of the law. And that law has re-mained undisturbed for more than 20 years. There is no good reason now to reject this generation-old statement of the law. There are sound reasons rooted in Fifth Amendment considerations for adhering to this Fourth Amendment legal condition circumscribing police authority to stop an individual against his will. ***

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/21june20041210/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/03pdf/03-5554.pdf

Simon
p.s.

Both Renquist and O'Connor voted for Berkemer.