internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] California Bans E-Vote Machines

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] California Bans E-Vote Machines
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 10:30:02 -0400

Ed--don't get me wrong, I would like electronic voting machines, just not
these. I don't think we should dump the machines, just the company making
them (Diebold comes to mind). I think the Australians have the right idea:

http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,61045,00.html

"Although a private Australian company designed the system, it was based on
specifications set by independent election officials, who posted the code on
the Internet for all to see and evaluate. What's more, it was accomplished
from concept to product in six months. It went through a trial run in a
state election in 2001."
"A few people wrote in to report bugs, including an academic at the
Australian National University who found the most serious problem.

'It wasn't a functional or a security issue but was a mistake nonetheless,
and one that we were glad to have flagged for us,' said Quinn."

In addition to the public review, the commission hired an independent
verification and validation company to audit the code, "specifically to
prevent us, as a developer, from having any election-subverting code in
there," Quinn said.

'We were concerned that it wouldn't be secure enough,' said Green, the
electoral commissioner. The audit was performed specifically to search for
security weaknesses in the system, but Green says the researchers found
none."

Since the Australian software is open-source, a group is trying to modify it
for use in the US.

http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,2645,61968,00.html

"Ritchie, a 19-year-old political science and math student at the University
of California at Davis, told the panel that he was launching the nonprofit
Open Vote Foundation, which plans to modify the Australian code to meet
California election standards and offer it free to any voting vendors that
want to implement it in their systems."
"Ritchie plans to modify eVACS to include a voter-verified paper audit
trail, or VVPAT, which California Secretary of State Kevin Shelley mandated
must be included with all e-voting machines by July 2006.

The VVPAT would let voters independently verify that the machine cast their
ballot correctly before the paper receipt goes into a secure ballot box to
serve as a backup of the e-votes."

David

--
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC : 919.313.4588 : http://designhammer.com