internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] California Bans E-Vote Machines

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <edwes AT idisplay.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] California Bans E-Vote Machines
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 09:09:59 -0400

>Maybe there is still hope for the democratic process in the United States.
David: I'm reacting to a posting from a few days back, I realize, but I just saw a few min. of this "U.S. Election Assistance Commission" C-SPAN 2 coverage and it put me in mind of the topic. ...caught my eye because there was a Dr. Brit Williams Kennesaw State University Center for Election Systems speaking. I'd read a paper he wrote, "Security in the Georgia Voting System."

OK, I agree there are problems (...and I have had the impression of an arrogant Diebold! (...I hate that:-(

The issue has to do with security, but not with "The machines are bad" so we should dump them, these so called Direct Record Electronic voting machines. Electronic voting machines are inevitable (Yikes, did I just say that?). Are ATM's inevitable? Are bank accounts online inevitable? Security and paper trail need to be dealt with, totally. I don't think we can expect that these electronic voting machines will just go away. Is that what you're saying?
Dude, what's the issue here?
Ed W.

P.S. DRE's have been used in parts of NC since 1997. Voters & election folks both seem to like them.