internetworkers - [internetworkers] Broadband For All

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Broadband For All
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 01:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

In the April issue of Architecture magazine, the editor's monthly letter
addresses a Congressional bill that will offer tax credits to developers
who include internet access capability in the construction of low-income
housing. The bill is over a year old, stuck in committee it seems, but
apparently it has come to the fore again this election year. The editor
repeats the arguments involved.

Internet access really isn't a necessity, in the sense of water and
electricity. Given limited construction budgets, required internet access
will only decrease what can be spent on other, more crucial amenities.
Who's going to pay the subscription fees?

On the other hand, unlike the mindless luxury of television, the Internet
is an interactive tool that allows us unparalleled access to information;
"...with the Internet's singular access to our public resources and
libraries (and its de facto dominance of a few basic social and commercial
functions) we find the medium taking on an essential role in our lives as
citizens." He quotes a couple of statistics from a Department of Commerce
study on computer and Internet use. "Even without these statistics, it's
hard to argue against Internet access when we're openly contemplating
online voting, and when some governmental functions are already
effectively unavailable to those who can't dial up the agencies' Web
sites."

The magazine's website -- http://www.architecturemag.com/ -- doesn't
contain the editorial, so I can't offer a link. However, I was able to
find sites and links for the relevant information he presented. It's
worth noting that the text of the legislation refers to "high-speed"
access.

I was going to say that I was undecided on this, but then I realized that,
really, the only necessity for broadband is either a phone line for DSL or
a cable connection for, well, cable. I'm pretty sure these are already
standard build-ins, even for low-income housing. I suppose my remaining
concern, then, revolves around the tax credits. Are they a good thing?
Obviously yes, for the businesses involved; but overall are they good for
the community or the nation? The issue at hand is that, with the
inclusion of telephone or cable connections -- that is to say, by doing
absolutely nothing differently -- *every* project will qualify for this
tax credit.

-Alan