internetworkers - [internetworkers] Dvorak on the state of the IT industry

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: Internetworkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Dvorak on the state of the IT industry
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 07:50:04 -0400

This was posted on the OTTW list, but I thought it was relevant to the IW list as well. I think he nicely sums up what a lot of us are thinking:

"The sinister nature of offshoring jobs has corrupted the highest levels of our nation. Hillary Rodham Clinton, for example, is directly involved with one of the big body shops, Mumbai-based Tata Consultancy Services. Bush is actively promoting the replacement of American workers. Colin Powell recently promised India that the administration would continue to promote offshoring. Which country does he represent, anyway?"

"In an economic argument that is floating around, people cook numbers to show that every job lost to offshoring is a ridiculously large net benefit to the U.S. economy; we are making money on the deal. One math genius claimed that although we export around $10 billion in outsourcing fees, the economy somehow recovers over $300 billion in savings. It's a bonanza. Taking this logic to an extreme, if we offshored all American jobs and nobody here worked, we'd be filthy rich. Let's just do that! Where do I get my check?"

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC

  • [internetworkers] Dvorak on the state of the IT industry, Michael Czeiszperger, 05/03/2004