internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: bethellison AT netscape.net (Beth)
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org ("Internetworkers: http://www.ibib lio.org/internetworkers/")
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:01:42 -0400

Paul Smith <paul AT foundryzero.com> wrote:

>On Apr 6, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Bill Geschwind wrote:
>
>> I suspect that once you start having technologically unsophisticated
>> people buy Linux desktops for their home computers you are going to
>> start seeing some of the same problems that you have had for years with
>> the same technologically unsophisticated people putting Windows
>> desktops
>> in their homes...
>

>    I agree... I don't think the WalMart crowd is going to bring anything
>positive to Linux. They probably won't add anything by way of code or
>community support, and it will probably fuel anti-linux FUD when this
>bad idea doesn't work... ("Linux taken off the shelves at WalMart -
>lack of demand!").

Opinions about WalMart aside, I see it as a terrific step forward for Linux.
Taking it to the masses. More people will hear the words "linux" and "open
source" for the first time and learn a little about them. Sure, some people
will likely get frustrated with the damned thing, but so it goes. Frustration
goes with progress. The frustration of people trying to use linux at home
will likely lead to advances in the OS.

Beth

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.