internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] carmax appraisals was: honda/nissan garage recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] carmax appraisals was: honda/nissan garage recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:56:30 -0400

FWIW, back in 1998 when I bought my current car at Carmax I had them
"appraise" my old car and I eventually sold it to them. The appraisal
was not much more than a written quote about how much they would pay me
to take the car off of my hands. It did not say anything detailed about
the condition of the car, other than "Exterior: consistent with age of
car; Interior: consistent with age of car" etc. The appraisal did not
say anything about the IMO rather obvious suspension damage that it had.
Nonetheless, the appraisal was for more than I thought the car was
worth, and besides, selling it to them was far less of a hassle than
putting an ad in the paper and trying to sell it myself. Even though
this appraisal was free, it didn't say enough about the condition of the
car that I would recommend doing it for a used car that I would consider
purchasing.

- Bill