internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Conservative Punk Movement

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Conservative Punk Movement
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:49:40 -0500

on Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 01:08:57AM -0500, Tom Boucher wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2004, at 12:11 AM, uzoma nwosu wrote:
>
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/21/fashion/21PUNK.html?8hpib
>
> by definition alone this fool can't be punk. What ever happened to
> antidisestablishmentarianism?

Did you read the article? Makes a certain sense to me - punk has always
been distrustful of hippie liberals; and AFAIK hasn't ever been a
wellspring of deep thought or reflection beyond immature, reflexive
anger. So, naturally, there are bound to be some Republicans in the mix
somewhere. Too bad they mangled their Ian MacKaye interview (he founded
the "straight edge" "movement" by writing a song by that name, but he's
been very outspoken in the past against anyone who joins any sort of
movement - and I've seen him drinking beer back when I was in college -
and besides, Fugazi isn't punk, it's DC hardcore.)

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/