internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] project gutenberg and project gutenberg 2

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] project gutenberg and project gutenberg 2
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:38:05 -0500

On Mar 17, 2004, at 9:43 AM, Sil Greene wrote:

So I hate to encourage the recent rash of crosspostings from Slashdot, but
this just might get me mad. I'm not quite sure yet.

oh, so thankful that i don't read /.

I've always been a big fan of Project Gutenberg and its aims. Now,
something called the World eBook Library has put forward Project Gutenberg
2, providing public access to 27,000 HTML eBooks and paid member access
to 60,000 PDF eBooks. The PG2 webpage claims no affiliation or funding
from Project Gutenberg or the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive
Foundation.

providing resources is an admirable goal. please see my next message for information on how to increase *your* personal resource base.

<snip>

What might get me mad is the World eBook Library's use of PG's good name
for a paid service. I have no beef with the service; if it's useful
and cheap, I might use it, but more likely I won't. I take issue with the
possibility of someone confusing these guys with Project Gutenberg.
(Are they really claiming "7 years .. [of pioneering] Internet Library
services"?! .. huh?!?)

well, this sort of thing happens all the time. take, for example, my current initiative to run ibiblio2 out of my house. the pilot project has been a 40GB iPod hooked up to a T1 line, but the OC12 should be installed before this weekend and by next monday the exclusive members-only pay site ibiblio2 will be up and running. what does ibiblio2 serve? "Anything you want."

--
Creating chaos in all the right places...
... http://ibiblio.org/matusiak/