internetworkers - [internetworkers] project gutenberg and project gutenberg 2

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] project gutenberg and project gutenberg 2
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:43:05 -0500 (EST)

So I hate to encourage the recent rash of crosspostings from Slashdot, but
this just might get me mad. I'm not quite sure yet.

I've always been a big fan of Project Gutenberg and its aims. Now,
something called the World eBook Library has put forward Project Gutenberg
2, providing public access to 27,000 HTML eBooks and paid member access
to 60,000 PDF eBooks. The PG2 webpage claims no affiliation or funding
from Project Gutenberg or the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive
Foundation.

Now, PG has always been about Public Domain works (largely, tho not
exclusively), so I find it hard to criticize anyone for redistributing
their work. Redistribution under the Project Gutenberg trademark does
carry some conditions, but there's no requirement that you redistribute
any given book under that trademark.

What might get me mad is the World eBook Library's use of PG's good name
for a paid service. I have no beef with the service; if it's useful
and cheap, I might use it, but more likely I won't. I take issue with the
possibility of someone confusing these guys with Project Gutenberg.
(Are they really claiming "7 years .. [of pioneering] Internet Library
services"?! .. huh?!?)

Links:
Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.net/

Project Gutenberg: What am I allowed to do with the books I download?
http://www.gutenberg.net/faq/R-24.shtml

Project Gutenberg 2:
http://www.projectgutenberg.info/

World eBook Library:
http://worldlibrary.net/

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)