internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] SNOW

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] SNOW
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:37:55 -0500

on Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 07:29:46PM -0500, zman wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Steven Champeon wrote:
> > You must mean 'the way the transplant Yankees drive down here when they
> > forget their four-by SUV doesn't have snow tires anymore'...
>
> Sorry but hate to tell you snow tires wouldn't help the morons down here.
> They don't understand the concept of ice. (ice > snow tires)

Well, to be fair, we didn't get much ice in Maine except for the stuff
our rivers and lakes turned into, so if I hadn't had relatively enlightened
parents I wouldn't have learned how to drive on solid ice, either. But it
does help to have snow tires if you know how to drive on ice. If nothing
else, it may help keep you from accidentally sliding over into my lane.

We used to use concrete test cylinders in the trunk of the Jetta during
the winter to give us some more backend traction; my mom's company did
cylinder testing and so we had plenty lying around. Either that, or a big
bucket of sand on either side of the truck bed. That doubled for use as
instant traction when necessary.

Steve,
who doesn't even own a decent ice scraper anymore

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier