internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Broadband phone by Vonage anyone?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Frye, Matthew" <Matthew.Frye AT rexhealth.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Broadband phone by Vonage anyone?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:10:50 -0500

JP wrote:
As far as I know, TWC's voice over IP phone is NOT subcontracted to
Vonage. It is provided directly by infrastructure TWC has built
themselves (this info comes from an TWC/Roadrunner engineer that I
know). Not sure where you got the idea it was provided by Vonage --
Maria didn't say it was. She merely mentioned that her IP
connectivity
was from Time Warner, and therefore if she used Vonage, her
communication would be dependent on her cable modem working.

Well, quite frankly I don't care who it's subbed to as long as it works. If
it's TWC, great. Good for them.

The 911 question is an interesting one -- by default, voice over IP
phones do not work with 911 AT ALL.

It's my understanding that federal law requires your phone company to
provide you with some sort of 911 access. However, the obvious exception in
this case would be a power outage. In any case, TWC's digital phone faq
presents this information:

Q: Can I call 911 using Digital Phone?
A: Yes, absolutely. Safety is an important consideration and
enhanced 911 service is provided. Please note that Digital Phone does not
include back-up power and, as is the case with a cordless phone, should
there be a power outage, Digital Phone, including the ability to access 911
services, will not be available until the power is restored.

I guess if my power is out, I'll use my cell phone. If my cell phone's
dead, I'll send smoke signals.

MPF