internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Broadband phone by Vonage anyone?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Broadband phone by Vonage anyone?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:02:06 -0500

As far as I know, TWC's voice over IP phone is NOT subcontracted to
Vonage. It is provided directly by infrastructure TWC has built
themselves (this info comes from an TWC/Roadrunner engineer that I
know). Not sure where you got the idea it was provided by Vonage --
Maria didn't say it was. She merely mentioned that her IP connectivity
was from Time Warner, and therefore if she used Vonage, her
communication would be dependent on her cable modem working.

The 911 question is an interesting one -- by default, voice over IP
phones do not work with 911 AT ALL.

You'll need to find the non-911 numbers for your local emergency
services and program them into speed dial for the time being, until they
work this out. (Some 911 centers, like Cary I believe, have a
direct-dial number that goes to the same dispatcher; check the inside of
your phone book.) Or use your cell phone, since 911 service is
required to work there.

However, voice over IP providers are working things out -- for Vonage,
see http://www.vonage-promotion.com/911.html
You have to program your location though -- if you take your voice over
IP phone somewhere else, and then dial 911, you'll have a problem. It
doesn't help to contact the 911 dispatch center in Wake County if you're
in Maryland with an emergency.

--Jeremy

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 11:49, Frye, Matthew wrote:
> I use TWC's voip phone, which I didn't know was subbed through vonnage.
> Assuming it is, the service is great and I have had no problems. Everything
> (ld, local, caller id, etc) for $40 per month and it's part of my cable
> bill. Currently I have digital cable and cable modem (from Earthlink subbed
> through TWC) also. Only problem I foresee is power outages. If the power
> goes, everything else goes.

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |