internetworkers - [internetworkers] dead (vice-)presidents

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] dead (vice-)presidents
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:27:55 -0500

Doozie slips through Net

One of Lowdown's eagle-eyed spies, browsing the Web for Halliburton Co. news, came upon the following shocking item on MSNBC.com:

"Cheney dead at age 62

"Dick Cheney, the stalwart conservative and unflappable Washington insider picked by George W. Bush to be his vice president, died DAY TK in PLACE TK." ("TK" is journalistic shorthand for "to come.")

My source told me: "This obit ... was uploaded May 23, 2003 ... When I clicked on the headline [and summary], it said 'article not found.' Still, kind of a dopey thing to have your obit file anywhere near the live Web site." The obit was apparently written on May 23, my source said. "That was the day Cheney cast the deciding Senate vote for Bush's $35 billion tax cut."

An embarrassed MSNBC.com spokeswoman confirmed that the Cheney obit was accidentally posted on the site a few weeks ago, and said his May 23 Senate vote wasn't a factor.

"It was caught within an hour and taken down," she said. "Obviously, we're not happy."

An adviser to Vice President Cheney, who wears a state-of-the-art pacemaker after suffering several heart attacks, declined my invitation to make light of MSNBC.com's boo-boo:

"You're asking me to say something witty and memorable about a false obituary? Okay then, I have three words for you: Wouldn't be prudent."

---
Rowland