internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Marriage and religion

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Marriage and religion
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:58:02 -0500 (EST)

> Man - hunter. Woman - gatherer. Tribe dynamics dictate the two genders
> make a household. This is not indicative of religion swaying the masses,
> it was a matter of survival and therefore independent of that (though
> eventually everything gets tangle in religion).

I thought of that after I sent my message, but naw, that's just biology.
I suppose concepts from economics can be applied to evolutionary theory,
but I'm speaking of concious decisions. Being a couple is one thing, and
it usually just sort of happens, but marriage is a formal arrangement.

Of course, that far back in time we get into a chicken or the egg dilemma.
Which came first, the human concept of marriage or the human concept of
religion? I'll leave the debate to anthropologists, but I suspect the
answer is religion came first.

No matter, though; the point, and the crux of Diana's question, is that
religion is very much tied to marriage nowdays.

-Alan