internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] actually on topic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Maria Winslow <maria.winslow AT windows-linux.com>
  • To: zzd AT contentdb.net, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] actually on topic
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:45:09 -0500

On Friday 30 January 2004 10:17 am, zzd wrote:

> So what exactly is it about 9.2 that you find top notch..., the menu
> structure, KDE, Gnome <start flame war> I hope not </start flame war>,
> package selection, the superb installation routine, other?
>
> Having recently migrated to Gentoo for both significant perfomance gain and
> ease of (non-graphical) administration, I must admit that I really miss the
> well thought out application menu structure in KDE.
>
> Craig

I running KDE now, and mostly it's that the fonts looked fantastic out of the
box. Better even than red hat 8, which was certainly a major step forward.
There are doing this funny thing with the antialiasing whereby every other
line is slightly more antialiased than the others. It somehow makes it really
easy to read. I work in vi in an xterm a lot, and the fonts there look just
as good as in any other application. The spell checker in kmail is much
improved, too. I have to say that I do miss the look of Gnome, and a couple
of the taskbar applet doohickies, but not the performance drag. The boot
process is now more user friendly for non-technical users. Instead of a
running commentary of every possible thing, you get a status bar thing with
the option to view details only if you want to. The need to do the same thing
with the shutdown, though. And something that is useless but geeky-cool is
that they put a nice "9.2" logo on the black console (without X running).

So there's my review of Mandrake 9.2. I just went to LinuxWorld, and the
Gentoo people were the freakiest-looking ones there. So I guess that means
that it's now the most cutting edge distribution...

Maria