internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: [Paranoia] : was SpamBots: was [Fun with headers]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: [Paranoia] : was SpamBots: was [Fun with headers]
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:19:53 -0500

On Thursday, January 29, 2004, at 08:58 PM, Alan MacHett wrote:

- the postings to the list are (and have always been) archived for
public reading.
- As has been noted before, Google indexes the list.

Speaking of which...
Who knows the intricacies of spambots or regular expressions? As Michael
reminded us, the archives are open to the public, so they also are open to
spambots. Our email addresses are "disguised" as plain text, such as:

machett at ibiblio.org

and exist as "mailto:"; links to the list (the easiest target for
spambots). Still, I'm wondering and guessing that someone has probably
written a spambot that searches for similar strings. Or am I being overly
paranoid?

just curious,
Alan

Dude, those weren't sedatives.

And yes, they are all conspiring to spam you right now!
In fact, you may receive a spam as soon as TOMORROW!

dave ;)