internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 12, Issue 28

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeffrey Gordon <jeff AT jeffreygordon.net>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 12, Issue 28
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:38:03 -0500

> From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
>
> Actually no they're not. Apple is taking the other machines back. The
> decrease in power use will save money. And there will also be an increase
> in performance. So do a little research before you spout off.

Well, according to the articles which quote Professor Varadarajan, "Asked
what would become of the 1,100 PowerMac G5 computers being retired,
Varadarajan said: "We're working on getting them very good homes.""

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1292&e=8&u=/nm/20040127/tc_
nm/tech_virginiatech_apple_dc&sid=95573661

So while it might be a part of the deal between Apple & VT to recycle them
back through Apple, there's not confirmation of that fact. What HAS been
stated is that there IS an upgrade cost, in negotiation.

Now, it IS my opinion that this is a waste of money. In a time where belts
are being tightened and people are losing their jobs, I think it's a pretty
arrogant statement to go spend several million dollars on something that
runs for a few months... and then say "oh, let's spend more money" while
completely replacing the original product with something brand new.

If Apple is doing this as a publicity stunt (which doesn't appear to be the
case), and they're giving 100% credit for the G5's towards the Xserve's,
well, great. But for Apple to make money on this, they simply can't. The
G5's can't be sold as "new" (although there IS the argument that people will
pay MORE than new prices just to say that they own a piece of "history").

I dunno. Still seems pretty wasteful to me, regardless of the arguments of
"power savings." And that's not to mention that all of this money is being
spent to attract grants and research dollars... not as a result of already
existing income.

But again, I might sound somewhat silly, I've just looked all over their
website and I see no stated PURPOSE for the machine other than to have one.
I think it's important to note that the two more powerful machines in the
world are doing earth simulations and weapons research. One would hope that
number three was more than a toy.

~Jeff