internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "Big Mac" seeks slimmer carriage

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "Big Mac" seeks slimmer carriage
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:54:34 -0500

On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 01:04 PM, David Minton wrote:

On 1/28/04 12:41 PM, "zman" <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com> wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Jeffrey Gordon wrote:
Actually, these folks are wasting a LOT of money. I am glad I'm not a VT
student or alum being asked to foot the bill.

Actually no they're not. Apple is taking the other machines back. The
decrease in power use will save money. And there will also be an increase
in performance. So do a little research before you spout off.

If I recall, this was actually part of the original deal with VT--Apple
would swap the G5 desktops for G5 Xserves, when they became available.

I'm not actually sure that this is a clean swap deal. I imagine Apple is making it very attractive for them, however.

I am much more interested in how someone can come to believe that such an investment is a "waste of money." At less than 7 million dollars, the resource they were able to assemble is unequaled. To improve upon their model, one would have to spend 10 to 20 times that amount.

Major tertiary benefits of such a feat include bringing a smaller school like VT up to the forefront of current supercomputing technology and having surplus resources available to sell/rent/partition to as many customers as they would like -- which may help pay for the device in the long run.

So, was that simply personal opinion or is there more to such rationale?

dave m.

--
Lots to do. Better get started. >>> http://ibiblio.org/matusiak/