internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "Big Mac" seeks slimmer carriage

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "Big Mac" seeks slimmer carriage
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:51:35 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Ilan Volow wrote:
> In addition to the current supercomputing clusters at NCSU, there is
> also an effort underway by PackMUG (the NCSU mac users group) to build
> a community-based supercomputer grid using spare cycles from faculty
> and student machines (that community-oriented enough for people?) and
> the Apple XGrid technology. Some of the details of the project and
> contact info are on the PackMUG website, located at
> http://packmug.ncsu.edu/index.php

I applaud them for their efforts. The one main problem I see with it is I
will never be able to use it. Our research is funded by Phillip-Morris and
I doubt they would ever allow their data on such an inherently unsecure
network. I believe this is probably the same for most of the grant funded
research.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com