internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] URL-DNS-something

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] URL-DNS-something
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:34:59 -0500 (EST)

OK, Alan, make up your mind. Are you questioning DNS or URLs?

Actually, I've seen some articles crop up recently dealing with DNS's
ability to handle all sorts of character types, especially Unicode; and
its ability to deal with all sorts of fairly arbitrary fields. I think
these have been on Slashdot, but I'm currently fighting my housemate's
bittorrent streams for upstream bandwidth, so you'll have to go search for
URLs to those articles yourselves. Nothing like 2400-baud lag... gotta
love it.

--Sil

Reported 04.01.08 21:18 from Alan MacHett:

.:....* I could just smack myself...
.:
.:This is what happens when you try to watch tv and eat and type and read
.:all at the same time. You do stupid things like think those parentheses
.:were ANYWHERE NEAR being in the domain name.
.:
.:I'm a dumbass.
.:
.:
.:> I thought URLs could use only numbers, letters, the underscore, and the
.:> dash?
.:>
.:> While researching info for someone, I came upon the following,
.:> *functional* URL:
.:> http://travel.state.gov/spouse_fiance(e).html
.:> Yes, the parentheses are there and are necessary.
.:>
.:> Did the State Department (the guvment) get some special deal, or will I be
.:> able to get www.Aw!F*#%ingH~((.org as a domain?
.:>
.:> -Alan
.:>
.:>
.:> ---
.:> Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
.:> http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
.:> You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
.:> To unsubscribe visit
.:> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/internetworkers
.:>
.:
.:---

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)