internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: TW and voice over IP

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: AlMaur777 AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: TW and voice over IP
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:25:35 EST

I had to replace my first generation TW modem when they upped the speed recently. Had troubles with it for a month not knowing what was causing them. New modem fixed the problems and my speed now is 2.9mbs, more than a T1 line.

I just had the internet phone installed this week. It went out once during a call -- modem went off too -- the first morning, has been perfect since. Voice quality, if anything is better than regular phone. Price is certainly right. It will save me $200 in the first three months.

It really frees me up as a journalist to make as many LD calls as I want, extending my reach without busting my budget.

It's a good idea to have a cell phone, though, cause if the power or modem goes out, so does the phone, and as the stories here attest, the modem does sometimes stop working.

I have to admit, though, for me, TW folks have generally been here more quickly than I expected. They have to futz with the old wiring in the warehouse sometimes, but they've managed to keep me up and running most of the time so far. I've had it since 2000 and it's far superior to the ADSL line I had in Charlotte.

Allan Maurer
Writer
PHONE: 919-667-1733

Published widely in national, regional, and local media including magazines from Playboy to Modern Maturity, thousands of articles online, and four books.
.

Senior Writer, Founder, LocalTechWire.
LocalTechWire.com .

Resume & Weblinks to clips: Allan Maurer, writer, editor, teacher

Founder, contributing editor:
The Carolina Connoisseur explores North Carolina and South Carolina

Blog-
http://scifiblogs.blogspot.com