internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] IDE for PHP?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] IDE for PHP?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:30:44 -0500

You may want to look at Eclipse (Eclipse.org) and the TruStudio PHP plugins for Eclipse (www.xored.com). The latest stable builds of Eclipse support Mac OSX. Eclipse gives you excellent project management tools, an intuitive environment and built-in, world-class CVS support. The TruStudio PHP plugins say they support syntax hiliting, code-completion and debugging support for local as well as remote PHP based web applications.

Rowland

Drew Johnston wrote:

Hate to recommend a "commercial" solution, but I use Dreamweaver MX for this. If you're looking for something a little fancier than vi, this is a good one. And runs very well on OSX. And provides an integrated ftp solution, so testing locally and remotely is very easy.

It has syntax coloring and checking, and you can download a manual that has all syntaxing, functions, arguments, etc. in a similar format to the included html & javascript manual.

It also provides syntax hinting and autocomplete functions. And if you are doing anything with flash remoting (via amfphp) it is as close to a perfect setup as possible I think.

I also recommend to download the PHP_ADODB extension. Works well when you're in a hurry and need to point and click together a database app.

Also allows you to hook directly into a mysql dbase in the development environment, and see what's where.

The only downside is that you have a hard time using php with a odbc database on a mac not running locally, but that's fairly much a universal problem. Can still write the code, just don't get the fancy benefits you do with a mysql setup.

If you have any academic standing, it's $99 bucks. If not, it's more expensive, but there is a free trial version that will let you try it out.

Its available at Macromedia.com