internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Gee, when did we give away the Internet? (An analysis of news about WSIS)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cpsr-rtp AT cpsr.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Gee, when did we give away the Internet? (An analysis of news about WSIS)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:52:14 -0500

on Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 05:30:32AM -0500, Christian Stalberg wrote:
> And who ultimately is in charge of the Domain Name System? You are. You
> determine what domains you view. Somewhere on your personal computer is a
> configuration option that determines where you go to resolve top-level
> domains, and you can go far beyond what ICANN would like you to see. Visit
> the Open Root Server Confederation.

Um, no. While that /is/ the case with anyone running BIND or an actual
name server, most people only have control over which name servers they
use, not over how they are configured.

Other than that, though, he's right. The DNS is completely screwed, and
nobody seems to have the power or inclination to fix it.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier