internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] democratic candidates forum - rock the vote

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] democratic candidates forum - rock the vote
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:07:40 -0500

see, now - i have not really been following the pre-election that closely, but the impression i took away from this "scandal" is completely different.

i think Dean made a mistake by characterizing "all southern men as rednecks," but i think his statement (in the larger context) were about being inclusive and appealing to a broad swath of voters. i think the opportunists in the other campaigns just heard a "red flag word" and drove it into the ground. i.e. they were just looking for something to harp on.

i also don't think he needed to apologize. bush has done a lot worse and refuses to be apologetic. why should the strongest Democratic candidate feign weakness to simply appease the media machine and people stupid enough to be duped by the media machine?

yo, funk dat.

also, i think when Dean (and others) talk about "working-class whites" they are not talking about people who converse via listserv all day long, but the significantly larger class of people who have to do hard work all day (and oftentimes have two or more jobs). that could just be my slanted view, however.