internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Wal-Mart

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Manning <jmm AT sublogic.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Wal-Mart
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:39:17 -0400

> > The fact that they are the largest company in America is just scary.
>
> I've always wondered - what does it mean to be largest?

As a sub-question, what does "largest company in America" mean?

Company whose United-States-based (employees/assets/offices) are maximal?

OR

Company whose global assets are maximal, then restricted to ones with
US headquarters?

IOW, is it based solely on the corporate assets held within America?

Is "largest company in America" not go to an IBM, for instance (dunno
what the comparative market caps are, and I'm not going to check :)
because while their overall numbers may be higher than Wal-Mart, their
intra-America ones are lower? Is an IBM (or whoever) invalidated from
that list for having foreign offices in the first place?

Meaningless rambles as I wait for a compile :)
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7 9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4