internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Re: network solutions sold

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Manning <jmm AT sublogic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Re: network solutions sold
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:34:14 -0400

> http://verisign.com/corporate/news/2003/pr_20031007b.html?sl=070804

*that* is classic.

"As a heavy but non-technical computer user it has been
extremely frustrating for me to encounter 404
errors. Naturally, they happen at the busiest times," said Roy
S. Lahet, vice president of Planning for Mercy Behavioral
Health. "Alternative suggestions instead of a project-stopping
404 is a welcome and functional improvement to my use of the
Web and related searches. It is difficult for me to see a
downside to this user friendly enhancement."

um... 404's aren't going to get helped at all - 404 meaning an http
server responded (possibly the one you meant, possibly not, either way
an existing http server) and didn't have the requested resource.

It scares me that Verisign either 1) really believes 404's would be
improved by DNS wildcard's or 2) is just outright lying knowing most
people won't understand that 404 responses will happen exactly as
often as they did before.

There's the potential slang of 404 meaning any error that fails to
load a/the page, but I'm not considering that at the moment.
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7 9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4