internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Re: network solutions sold

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Re: network solutions sold
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:12:37 -0400

>What would happen if another registrar, or several others, implemented
>their own wildcard snafu?
>
> -Alan

Can't happen (to the best of my knowledge). You've confused a registrar with
the registry itself. Verisign sold off the the Network Solutions registar
because it's a commodity business. There are tons of registrars, but only
one keeper of the .com & .net registry. That keeper is Verisign by way of a
contract with ICANN. The registry of .org is handled by some other group
that escapes me at the moment, I've forgotten who handles the registry for
.name and the other top level domains (tld's).

- SL