internetworkers - [internetworkers] Question for the Audiophiles

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Colleen McCarthy" <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers AT Lists.Ibiblio.Org (E-mail)" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Question for the Audiophiles
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:07:04 -0400

Hi Folks,

Sigh... I finally have to concede that the sound in my car and the sound
from my Emerson boom box (which has detachable speakers and which I'm using
as a shelf system in my home office) is so bad that it hurts my ears. I
guessing that this is because there is too much volume at too few
frequencies, but I really don't know.

I put a Sony 10 CD player in the car, but it has the original (Toyota)
speakers. "Something has changed" (such a detailed description!) in the
last year and the sound has gotten worse. If I decide to pull the speakers
out, is there anything to look for other than a tear to tell me that the
performance has degraded? I did get hit last year (just a fender-bender),
so they've been subjected to trauma, and the car is a 1994 Camry, so it's
been through it's share of Carolina summers.

With respect to replacing the boom box with a shelf system, I'm thinking
about a unit that also has a DVD player. I'm cost constrained, so I have to
get the minimum that will deliver decent sound.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate hearing it.

P.S. Thank to those of you who offered advice on the sale of stock at a
loss! The only thing I have yet to research is whether there are any rules
on the order in which you have to sell (first-in-first-out, etc). If anyone
wants a summary of what I've found, please let me know and I'll email it as
soon as I get the last questions answered.

Thanks much!

Colleen

Colleen McCarthy, MT(ASCP), BSEE, MBA, PMP
LIS Administrator
Laboratory Information Services
UNC Hospitals/McLendon Clinical Labs
1106 East Wing