internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] [R: language] Declan on VeriSign SiteFinderservice

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] [R: language] Declan on VeriSign SiteFinderservice
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:42:05 -0400

>VeriSign stands firm on domain redirect the company, which enjoys a
government-granted monopoly over the .com registry,

I tried Googling for old news stories about when that monopoly deal was
granted to Network Solutions Inc (which Verisign bought) and was coming up
with conflicting information. Some of the information I found from 1999 said
it was a 4 year deal. Can someone with better research skillz clarify when
that contract with the government expires ?

If their contract is up soon, then finding an adroit way to explain to my
congressional represenatives why Verisign should not have their contract
renewed should be on my to-do list.

- SL