internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Patriot Act

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Patriot Act
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:52:27 -0400

I think the important part you are missing is that the Patriot Act is
applied to accused criminals--in this county (at least until recently), you
were only a (convicted) criminal after being convicted in a trial, or agree
to a plea agreement.

Under the Patriot Act, suspected criminals loose many rights that we take
for granted. You don't have to do anything wrong to be suspected of a crime.

How about this scenario (note I don't know if the Patriot Act would cover
this, but it sounds good): Are you a system administrator? Are you sure all
of the security patches are up-to-date? Is your desktop computer infected
with a worm or virus? If a hacker uses your system for "computer terrorism"
such as SPAMING, are you an accomplice for your negligence? That is probably
good for 5-10 years ;-)

David