internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Bush the monster?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Rebecca O'Connell" <rloconne AT unity.ncsu.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Bush the monster?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:01:35 -0400

But the idea behind a representative democracy is that we elect
representatives and they act on our behalf. "We" hired "them" (or hired the
people who hired "them") and if "we" donĀ¹t approve of what "they" do then we
have a civic duty to make our opinions known, to vote for better candidates,
and, if necessary, to encouraging better people to run. It seems very
defeatist to me to just say "oh, that's them, that doesn't involve me". I
understand that the richest 1% have a lot of resources that they can use to
make things go their way and that our government isn't always "of the
people, for the people, and by the people" but that's what its supposed to
be and that's what we should be working toward.