internetworkers - [internetworkers] ethical hacking

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: brunkb AT ils.unc.edu
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] ethical hacking
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:34:40 -0400

i have to agree with Shea. not only was this guy NOT under contract
with this clinic to do security scanning (which would have made it
okay), he went the extra mile by exposing private data. a big NO-NO.

I guess this is why I don't bother with the INW meetings. Just another bunch of beaten down statists. What did he steal? Who did he harm? The guy went to WRAL to warn everyone of the problem. I don't think he had any criminal intent and I wouldn't rely on any of the colored media reports of the incident. Whether or not he was trying to make a name for himself, he was being a good samaritan by trying to let them know that they are radiating all kinds of confidential information in all directions. It's a "mistake" any one of you could make, which is why I posted it.

The people who should be arrested (or at least definitely FIRED) are the idiots employed as network admins at the clinic! After all, it isn't exactly rocket science to secure your wi-fi network. Incompetence.

Ben