internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:45:29 -0400

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 12:27 PM, brunkb AT ils.unc.edu wrote:

I laugh every time I see the crop of democratic candidates who can do nothing but bash Bush, but have no solutions of their own except their usual tax & spend model. I've never seen a bigger group of people in such high positions so cosmically clueless. John Edwards. Hahahahhahahahhahahahhhahah!

Good point! The reason is candidates of any party can't say anything about policy is no one ever got elected by saying what really needs to be changed. The experienced politicians know how to mobilize whomever would be adversely affected by any suggested changes and generate huge amounts of bad press. The experienced politician knows the best thing to do is suggest vague positions like "I'm for a strong defense", or "I'm for a strong economy" to give the opposition as small a target as possible.

The sad part is I don't see how anyone can blame them, since candidates that don't follow this formula don't get elected since the most people don't get involved in issues but rather follow simple, easy to remember principles like:

1. smaller government
2. strong defense
3. tough on crime
4. lower taxes

That's why we can have a situation where the majority party in congress ran on a platform of smaller government, but yet has increased government spending by 14% creating the largest deficit in history.

On Poetry: People could like daffodils if they wanted to, but should not be allowed
to take up more than a page to say so. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC