internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] price of gasoline

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Laurie VanDine <laurie AT biZrace.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] price of gasoline
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:10:39 -0000

Well, I didn't feel the need to get down and dirty and spit out all
kinds of statistics...and I still don't. I'll be the first to admit
that I'm not sitting around spending my spare time reading about gas,
gas prices and the oil industry (like apparently most of you all are)!
Obviously, there are going to be slight differences in the price of
anything from one place to another, not just gas. But, I have lived in
CA all of my life, with the exception of the past two years, and have
never paid $2.15 for gas before! Even to Californians, this price is
ridiculously high. The cost of gas will vary from state to state (let's
keep the rest of the world out of this...that's a whole other
topic)...but, it really shouldn't vary SO dramatically. All states have
taxes, all gas station owners have overhead.

And I didn't say I didn't like the debate...what I said was that I
preferred friendly discussion and debate.

I'm out.

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 10:56, Steven Champeon wrote:
> on Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:39:34AM -0400, Laurie VanDine wrote:
> > But, the price of gas should be the same no matter where you live.
>
> Heh. Like Saudi Arabia, you mean, where it costs so much less to extract
> the oil from the ground? Or Alaska, where similar conditions hold? Or in
> Japan, which has no gas or oil resources to speak of? Or in NYC, where
> demand combined with the hassle of delivery makes things cost so much
> more? Why would you think that prices "should" be equal from one place
> to the next? Demand and supply and incidental costs (such as
> manufacturing, transportation and marketing) are what determines the
> price of everything.
>
> Or maybe you've never seen the "last gas for X miles" signs? Things cost
> what people will pay for them, period. That's why gas costs so much more
> when you return a rental car, for example ;)
>
> Come on, Laurie, I've ignored all the defensiveness and so forth, but this
> is just naive. No law says that anything should cost the same everywhere,
> and no principle exists that might determine equal cost, either.
>
> And you'd better get used to the possibility of debate on this list :)
> Internetworkers is a pretty spirited bunch.
>
> Steve

*NEW! Ashlyn's web site: http://ashlyn.vandine.org
(A work in progress ever growing and changing by the month just like
Ashlyn!)

There never was a
Child so lovely but her
Mother was glad to see her asleep :-)