internetworkers - [internetworkers] Restaurant rave (Lantern)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Kristen James Eberlein" <kristeneberlein AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Restaurant rave (Lantern)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:58:11 -0400

A friend and I ate at Lantern last night. Oh, my ... the food was fabulous.

We started with a simple mixed greens salad with an umeboshi plum
vinaigrette: shallots, umeboshi plum, lime, and who knows what else blended
into a tangy, intriguing, and perfectly balanced dressing. Honestly, I'd go
back just to taste that salad.

Then on to the main course: steamed striped bass for Annie, and a crispy
flounder in a tamarind sauce enhanced by chilies, cilantro, almonds, and
more for me. We sat there, ate, moaned, and ate until every tiny piece was
gone.

For dessert, we both opted for the vanilla bean panna cotta, dressed with
wine-soaked, organic, black cherries. Profoundly silky in texture, inundated
with flavors of vanilla and caramelized sugar ... Oh, and dressed with
edible nasturtiums. The taste of the flower after we each immersed it in the
tantalizingly red wine sauce -- unforgettable.

And not too horribly expensive. The above food plus a glass of wine ran to
$45 apiece, before tip.