internetworkers - [internetworkers] re: If you like Canada, you'll love Howard Dean

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda AT lindawatson.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] re: If you like Canada, you'll love Howard Dean
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:23:52 -0400

Ben Brunk wrote:
Hehe...written by a Republicrat, so take it for what it's worth:

http://gopusa.com/dougpatton/dp_0623p.shtml

Dang ... I've got to quit getting the digest version of this list. I'm an ardent Dean supporter. Check out my new site:

http://www.deaniacs.org

I'd expect a lot of the Internetworkers to be, too. Check out Dean's letter to Michael Powell, Chairman of the FCC, urging Powell to protect our rights to a free press:

http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5877

But I did check out the GOPUSA article. It said in part:

Dean was right in line with the Vermont tradition of his colleagues, taking ultraliberal positions on abortion, homosexual special rights, health care, Social Security, Medicare and, of course, the taxes to pay for it all.

While he was governor, Howard Dean signed an outrageous piece of legislation that legalized civil unions between members of the same sex. It was tantamount to same-sex marriage, and now 49 other states have to deal with the contractual migraines created by this perversion of the Constitution's full faith and credit clause.

If this is ultra-liberal, then count me in. I want the government to stay out of our bedrooms and out of our doctors' office. I want people who are in long-term, loving relationships to have the opportunity to get the same legal rights and responsibilities as married couples do now. The churches can continue to sanction or condemn whatever they choose, as our religious freedom allows them to.

The civil unions act seems to be the act of a rational, compassionate society. Say your sister is gay and has been in a committed relationship for ten years. She's in a car accident and needs emergency care. Her partner can't help her -- she can't even visit her in Intensive Care because she's not "family." Who's going to help? You, on the other coast? Your parents, who haven't spoken to her since she came out? This is the sort of situation that the civil-unions law addresses.

And as for taxes, Dean has a great record as a fiscal conservative. During his term, he:
* Paid off a 70 million dollar deficit he inherited from the previous governor
* Lowered income taxes twice
* Raised the minimum wage twice
* Brought more than 41,000 new jobs into Vermont

Oh, I could go on all day. Actually, I have, as you can see on the Deaniacs site:

        http://www.Deaniacs.org

where we're ... what else ... working like crazy for Howard Dean.

I'm no fan of Bush and his Trotskyite neocons either, mind you.  I don't think our Republic has much of a future unless we have a meaningful two party system where one side rails against massive wealth redistribution, inflationary money policy, and foreign aggression.  One need only look at Canadian healthcare to realize we don't want that here.

BTW--Dean's son is kind of a suburban punk, he was the wheel man for a country club break in and robbery.  Dean made some gauche remark about "breaking in" to the upper class or some such during a speech.

Yes, Dean's kid was caught with a group of kids stealing liquor from a country club. Dean informed the press, cancelled some campaign stops, and went home to take care of this family business. Dean told The Associated Press: "Children do stupid things, and this is one of them I'm cutting short my next two days on the campaign trail to deal with a family problem that I consider to be a serious problem." Sounds like a good father to me.

And yes, Dean made what can be construed as a stupid reference to it. Dean was talking about the inner circle of Democrats in Washington. He said: "They'll come around once they get to know me. It's a bit of a club down there. The Democratic Party, all the candidates from Washington, I mean, they all know each other. They all move in  the same circles. What I'm trying to do is breaking into the country club."

Lastly--I get a kick out of Sharpton.  That man is a bona fide crook, doesn't anyone remember the Tawana Brawley case?  I guess it didn't get much play outside of NY State.

Sharpton made the news everywhere with that fiasco.

But seriously, we're living in dangerous times. Check out the Project for a New American Century (PNAC). It's literally a plan for world domination by the U.S. government:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/

This organization says in its Statement of Purpose: "We aim to make the case and rally support for American global leadership." This statement was signed by Bush heavies Dick Cheney, William Bennett, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, and others.

PNAC's report on Rebuilding American Defenses identifies "four core missions"  for  U.S. military forces, one of which is to "fight and decisively win multiple, simultaneous major theater wars."  They want to "control the new 'international commons' of space and 'cyberspace.'" They want to add $15 to $20 billion ANNUALLY to the total defense spending.  This comes from a report that came out in September 2000, before Bush was in office and a year before the 9/11 attacks.

http://www.newamericancentury.org/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf

It's truly time for all good men and women to come to the aid of their country ... and the world. Learn about the candidates, pick one or become one, and fight to take our country back.

Linda Watson
http://www.deaniacs.org
http://deaniacs.blogspot.com
working like crazy for Howard Dean