internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ftp directories?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ftp directories?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:56:12 -0000

Hmm, it appears something about my PGP signature caused my previous
message to be eaten by the server. Here's what I said, but you can't be
sure it's from me now. :-)

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 15:19, Steven Champeon wrote:
> on Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 03:17:12PM -0400, machett AT ibiblio.org wrote:
> >
> > will ftp (command line) transfer directories? say, if I entered
> > mget filename
> > or
> > mput filename
> > but filename was a directory instead of a file, or if I entered
> > mget *
> > or
> > mput *
> > could I expect directories to be transferred...???
>
> If you're using ncftp, and the remote server supports it, yes.

The remote server doesn't need to "support" anything, as ncftp just does
directory listings and recurses in the client.

> ncftp> get -R somedir

Also, on Linux/UNIX the 'lftp' client will support recursive directory
retrieval, as will programs like 'wget'. But the standard program
called 'ftp' will not.

Most graphical Windows FTP clients like WS_FTP or CuteFTP should support
recursive directory retrieval. Again that is all handled by the client
though; it will work with any remote server.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |