internetworkers - [internetworkers] Popular Baby Names

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Popular Baby Names
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 00:40:22 -0400

Some friends are "in a family way" and were excited when I told them the
Social Security Administration hosts a web-based database of first names
from the last hundred years or so, based upon applications for Social
Security numbers.

Even if you are not looking for just the right name for a future offspring,
it is a neat system, with a number of search queries, including:
Top 5 names by state (by year)
Top 10 names by year of birth for years 1880 through 1997
Top 1000 names by decade

Here are some of the most and least popular names from 2002. The number
indicates the number of applicants with each name.

1 Jacob 30122 Emily 24262
2 Michael 28119 Madison 21546
3 Joshua 25859 Hannah 18559
4 Matthew 24831 Emma 16324
5 Ethan 21949 Alexis 15411

996 Edgardo 158 Jazmyne 222
997 Garett 158 Libby 222
998 Gerard 158 Nyasia 222
999 Ryley 158 Kari 221
1000 Braulio 157 Keeley 221

How popular is your name? Mine was #2 the year I was born (1968)--I guess
(luckily) my parents were not too creative.

David