internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] outer banks

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mike Johnson <mike AT enoch.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] outer banks
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:59:07 -0400

Beckett [thomas AT tbeckett.com] wrote:
> I understand that there is this seashore near here called the "Outer
> Banks". Anybody have a good experience there? If one wanted to spend a
> few days of quiet time there, where would the less-developed places be?
> Any suggestions for clean & inexpensive accomodations? Any good bars?
> Seafood?

The past October, my wife and I took a driving trip along the Outer
Banks. We started in Wilmington (one night) and then drove to Beaufort
(two nights). In Beaufort, we stayed at the Inlet Inn, right on the
waterway. There was a nice marina right outside our balcony. The rates
were reasonable, but it was off-season. Their website is:
http://www.inlet-inn.com/ -- don't let the lack of detailed pictures
turn you off, it's a -great- place. If you go, catch a ferry/boat to
Cape Lookout (we didn't :( From there, we checked out Atlantic Beach,
and Harkers Island (booooring).

We then caught the ferry to Ocracoke from Cedar Island (in eight to ten
foot seas, whee). We stayed two nights at the Island Inn and Dining
Room. -Very- nice people, but, uh, not the greatest of acomidations. I
can recommend them for breakfast, though! Ocracoke is a tiny little
village, and is rather far away from civilization. The best seafood we
had on our trip (according to my wife, I'm not a fan of seafood) was at
Cafe Atlantic, on Ocracoke. There are a couple bars there, one which I
understand should be avoided, and the other was mentioned in another
e-mail in this thread (I forget -- Jason's, maybe?). I really don't
think I can explain just how small Ocracoke is, but it's totally an
artist community.

>From there, we spent some time on Hatteras (played some in the sand
with the WRX), and eventually went north to Manteo, stopping at the
Bodie Island lighthouse. In Manteo, we stayed at the White Doe Inn
(http://www.whitedoeinn.com/). It was a B&B, and neither of us had
stayed at one before, but man, was it -nice-. Breakfast had four(!)
courses! Old town Manteo was pretty cool, and we did the aquarium
and the Elizabethan Gardens. We also hit Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, and
eventually Corolla. The lighthouse up there was gorgeous, and must
be seen.

It was interesting to see the civilization increase from Ocracoke, as we
headed north. Nags Head/Kitty Hawk was definately more populous than
the places further south, even more than Hatteras.

Anyways, dunno if that helps any. Ocracoke is about as far away from
civilization as you can get and still stay in a hotel, but I imagine
that during season, it might be tough to find a place to stay.

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak

GNUPG Key fingerprint = ACD2 2F2F C151 FB35 B3AF C821 89C4 DF9A 5DDD 95D1