internetworkers - [internetworkers] CISCO's lawful eavesdropping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] CISCO's lawful eavesdropping
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 13:12:39 -0400

All,

I've just read the article " Inside Cisco's eavesdropping apparatus "[1]
about how Cisco will ship (at least some) of its products with a
"backdoor" por law agencies (and others?) to eavesdrop the
communications.

Did anyone knew about this? Should we be concerned? Should we be very
carefull when shopping at cisco.com?

I don't really understand if Cisco is already binding this capabilities
with their routers, this is just a draft or what. Please, enlighten
someone lost trying to make sense of the article.

See:
[1] http://news.com.com/2010-1071-997528.html?tag=fd_nc_1

"The company recently published a proposal that describes how it plans
to embed "lawful interception" capability into its products. Among the
highlights: Eavesdropping "must be undetectable," and multiple police
agencies conducting simultaneous wiretaps must not learn of one
another. If an Internet provider uses encryption to preserve its
customers' privacy and has access to the encryption keys, it must turn
over the intercepted communications to police in a descrambled form."

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep Lluis Guallar-Esteve http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/
Linux System and Network Administration http://www.easternrad.com

  • [internetworkers] CISCO's lawful eavesdropping, Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, 05/11/2003