internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] FW: Can you help a worthy cause?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] FW: Can you help a worthy cause?
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 11:29:42 -0400

I would bet it is very true. my partner spent some time doing adult
literacy tutoring in Orange County some years ago, and can tell you that
illiteracy among adults is far more widespread than you might think in
this relatively affluent area. And while it might be true that the
measurement below was skewed by language-centricity, it does not
mitigate the need for change. Not being able to read (in the dominant
language of your country of residence) or balance a checkbook leaves
people open to all sorts of predation and exploitation. It's just wrong.
period. There are adult literacy councils in Durham and Orange counties
as well, and I think probably in Chatham. Hint hint. If only all the
worthy causes got funded the way the corporate crooks do, this world
would be a far better place.

Paula
who has a list of charities I give money to each year, two per month,
because it's the right thing to do. I only wish I made more money,
because then I could give more.

Maria Winslow

<maria.winslow AT windows-linux.c To:
cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com, "Internetworkers:
om>
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/";
Sent by:
<internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
internetworkers-bounces@lists. cc:

ibiblio.org Subject: Re:
[internetworkers] FW: Can you help a
worthy cause?

05/08/03 09:48 AM

Please respond to

"Internetworkers:

http://www.ibiblio.org/interne

tworkers/"

Can this really be true? Do they mean in English?

> Here are some facts about literary in Wake County, NC:
> * 36% of Wake County adults do not possess the necessary skills
and
> reading levels for a high school diploma. They have difficulty
securing
> livable wages, caring for their families, and obtaining health care.

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
To unsubscribe visit