internetworkers - [internetworkers] Anyone tried emusic.com?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Anyone tried emusic.com?
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 04:46:13 -0400

Has anyone tried emusic.com? After buying a couple of things from the new Apple iTunes store, I read a review on The Register that recommended emusic.com. For $10/month you get unlimited of everything in their catalog, which is a pretty good deal compared to 99 cents a track or $9.99 an album. The limitation, of course, is you can download only what's available, which is the same limitation as iTunes, just with different music.

To my surprise, emusic.com is Linux and OSX friendly, which is good since you need to use their download manager to get songs. They don't seem to have much, if any, recent releases by major artists, but by taking the tact of downloading stuff that looks interesting rather than looking for the latest release I've been really happy with it. For example, they've got a bunch of Count Basie and Monk albums, along with bunches of Joe Pass and Jim Hall and other Jazz artists I've been meaning to collect but never got around to because of lack of funds.

I'm gonna need a new hard drive :-( Between pictures and a music collection the 120 gig I bought six months ago is almost full!

They're running a free promotion now of 50 free downloads (individual tracks, not albums) http://www.emusic.com

Some things just are, so stop before you spill allegory all over your shirt. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC