internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] addendum to Apple link

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] addendum to Apple link
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 13:07:42 -0400

Which is exactly what he did. Minus the cowering part. :)

This new iTunes it very neat. I'm not much of a downloader of music either, but this may help me change my old-fogey CD-buying ways. Also, Michael C. kindly has allowed me to connect to their music collection and listen. Which leads to an interesting observation...Michael and I have almost completely different tastes in music, and therefore in concert cover most genres of music.

Michael & Maria: Eclectic, world, jazz, ambient, trance, latin, Theremin, country, bluegrass, children's, bizarre, comic, Christmas, 70's, Folk, a little New Age and a bit of Pop/Rock. And classical.

Craig & Diana: pop, rock, industrial, metal, singer/songwriter, hip hop, soul, some jazz (Craig), Scottish music (dance, pop, bagpipe, again Craig), 80's synth-pop, Euro-pop, progressive, alternative, grunge, goth, a little New Age. And classical. Especially modern classical written within our lifetimes, or at least 1900's +.

Classical is definitely where we overlap. :) But I must say I'm finding some interesting stuff in Michael's collection that I normally wouldn't listen to. So thanks, Michael!

What we seem to be missing: garage, punk, teen pop (unless you want to count 80's teen pop, which I have well covered), rap, club dance music. What's interesting is that these are largely beat rather than melody driven, and I believe that Michael and I are both fans of many-layered music. Who out there can round us out with these genres?

This also leads me to another interesting (at least to me) observation -- how can we assess other's music collections in this day and age? It used to be soooo important to look through a new friend's album collection. Now, it seems rare that people actually buy hard copies of music. I guess now we all have to put our collections out there onto iTunes servers.

Diana