internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mini Cooper

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rthigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mini Cooper
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:00:39 -0400

Carol,

My wife has a 2002 MCS and we love it. It's a great little car and an absolute blast to drive. Way nimble. Lots of scoot.

I know its a matter of preferences, but I'd be remiss if I didn't encourage you to at least consider the S version. The standard with those two packages gets into the same cost neighborhood, and the S comes with some of those extras (wheels, spoiler, seats, etc.) It's just hard to argue with about 50% extra horsepower and upgraded handling. You owe it to yourself to at least drive one before you decide. If you're like us you'll be so delighted and busy just driving the little beasty to even notice that you're sitting on cloth upholstery. Just a thought. Priorities, ya know?

The only thing we might do differently would be to pick up a couple of extra options. This was her first time buying a new car, so she went a little conservative. The automatic climate control would be nice to have, as would the cruise. Neither of those is very expensive. The cloth seats are nice, but you have to be careful not to get them dirty. She didn't get the sunroof, so can't comment on that. She did get the heated seats, based on experience with my VW, and those are really great.

Having the dealer over in Winston is a bit of a pain. Oil changes and such can be done locally, but with the first service visits covered by warrarnty it pays to make the drive. We've had a couple of issues with the car that required extra trips also. Not too bad, but it would be _really_ nice if Leith or Performance would get certified.

For a dip into the Cooper owner's pool, check out the mini2.com site. The forums are a good introduction. Just beware of the tendency for problems to get more ink than positives. It is a good place to find out about potential weaknesses, but like many of the enthusiast forums, it tends to give a raw impression to newcomers. Take the time to look around, you'll find these folks really enjoy these cars.

Good Luck,

--rt

Carol Thomson wrote:
I'm about to buy a Mini Cooper. Can't swing the S, but going for the standard 5 speed, Premium and Sport packs, and possibly leather seats. I'd appreciate any comments from current owners. I think there is at least one of you. Any experience with getting service at W-S? I'm in Durham. Any option you'd do differently in hindsight? Does the sun bake you with the mesh sun roof shade?

Thanks,
Carol