internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Inappropriate e-mail you may have received about Silent Sam]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Russell <scottrus AT ipass.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Inappropriate e-mail you may have received about Silent Sam]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:09:05 -0400

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:03:57AM -0400, Dan Smith wrote:

> Now, this information is available in print edition as well, so anyone
> could manually type the email addresses into a database. The GAA
> archive is a user pain to retrieve an alphabetical listing of the
> alumni. The offender went to extreme trouble to do what he/she did,
> which is probably why this is the first time this problem has been a
> serious problem.

If it's on paper it can be scanned and converted to text with OCR. From there
it can easily be cleaned up.

If the CDROM displays several emails addresses at a time for viewing,
printing off screen shots and then scanning them back in as described above
is the way to go. Or, worse off, you might be able to feed the screen shots
directly to the OCR package, no scanning required. :)

These same techniques were used to by pass all safe guards on some Microsoft
eBook software and convert the displayed content to plain text files, or so
I've read.

--
Scott
Do not trifle with me, I have eaten 104 brains.